Thursday, March 18, 2010

Essential background for Abraham's story

This is the promise God made to Abram in Gen. 12:1-3 (NRSV):

1 Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. 2I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."

Note the 3 key parts:

1. Go to the land that I will show you.
2. I will make of you a great nation.
3. I will bless you. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. In you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.

Land; posterity; and blessing, a blessing not limited to his descendents but intended for the whole world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment