Friday, January 15, 2010

This story declares truth about me Gen 3

Judaism does not have the concept of original sin. Instead, it has the concept of "inclination to evil" (yetzer hara).

As consciousness opened to the possibility of an alternative to the way of unity consciousness everything became “fractured & distorted.”

This story is a reminder that the fellowship we were meant to have with God and each other, somehow, in one moment, was over come by ego, selfishness and ungratitude.


The consciousness of unity is no longer their home. God was a barrier to be circumvented…the couple stands exposed…having taken life into their own hands… their interest has focused completely on the self, on their new freedom and the terror that comes with it… What had been a story of trust and obedience now becomes an account of duality, cause and effect.

This story doesn't have to be the "factual history of the first 2 peeps on the planet" to be ‘true.’ What does this story reveal about us today?

This is MY story. This story declares truth about me, and about all of us.
I'm the one who doesn't go within to check things out. I'm the one who rationalizes my behavior to make it OK to do whatever I want. I'm the one who brings everyone down instead of lifting them up to the Father. I'm the one who hides the precious gifts God has given me because of shame and self-judgment. I'm the one who hides from God whenever I hear footsteps behind me. I'm the one who left the presence of God, and yet discovers that same presence with me in my self imposed exile and banishment. I'm the one who is confronted with a God who loves me in spite of my running and hiding, and who is constantly calling me out of my hiding place, encouraging me to trust, and take bigger risks.

This is a story of humans growing up and they seem a lot like teenagers – Because, as my parents told me on more than one occasion, "Even if there was only, one, simple, rule, you would find a way to break it!" This story closely tracks with the unjust judge in Luke 18.

The beginning of the journey is to recognize that fear, shame, guilt, alienation, self judgment and self humiliation keep us from trust and love. It is only when we come out of hiding; we stand completely exposed before God and before ourselves, that real healing, reconciliation and repentance/forgiveness can begin. The beginning and end of our journey is facing ourselves and God in trust and love, and choosing to live in harmony.

‘In a precise sense, every human being incorporates the condensed history of the universe from the beginning of the formation of protons to the formation of the brain.’ Schmitz-Moormann 1997

0 comments:

Post a Comment